Looker API 3.x Deprecation Notice
Following our API 4.0 GA release in Looker 22.4, we announced the deprecation of our 3.1 API, in addition to our already deprecated 3.0 API.
As of our deprecation announcement in June 2022, both the 3.1 API and the 3.0 API, referred to as 3.x, are in deprecated status. The 3.x API versions will continue to be available in deprecated status at least one year, and will be removed starting with the Looker release in June 2023.
As a result, we encourage you to upgrade your applications to use 4.0 API endpoints instead of 3.x API endpoints before June 2023. The 4.0 API fully covers the functionality offered by the deprecated APIs, and we expect the upgrade from 3.1x to 4.0 to be straightforward for most customers.
- Pre-2022: API 3.0 is in deprecated status, 3.1 is in stable status, and 4.0 is in beta status
- March 2022: API 4.0 enters stable status and is generally available in Looker 22.4
- June 23 2022 - API 3.1 deprecation is announced
- June 2023 - API 3.x will be removed from Looker
API 4.0 Migration Overview
API 3.x Endpoint Replacements
API 4.0 replaces a few deprecated API 3.x endpoints with equivalent or improved endpoints, listed below:
- “Space” endpoints have been renamed. Use synonymous “Folder” endpoints instead.
- “Homepage” endpoints have been removed. Use expanded functionality “board” endpoints instead.
API 4.0 Breaking ID Field Types
API 4.0 has updated types for some ID fields from numbers to strings. Use our API reference diff tool to determine which ID fields have changed between 3.1 and 4.0. Use up-to-date (22.0+) Looker-supported language SDKs to ensure your applications are type correct during and after migration. Most community-supported language SDKs, including Kotlin, Swift, R, C# and Go, already work with the updated types as well.
API 4.0 Diff
In addition to the above guidelines, the Looker API Interactive Reference provides a full listing of all differences between the 3.1 API and 4.0 API.