Looker extensions allow you to provide highly customized and integrated experiences to your Looker instance’s users.
A dedicated Looker page becomes your canvas, with a wide array of tools at your disposal, including the ability to:
- Access the Looker APIs through a pre-authenticated client
- Leverage Looker Components for seamless UI
- Make HTTP calls from the client or through a convenient server proxy
- Authenticate with third-party services via OAuth
- Use additional Extension Framework features
Simultaneously, detailed sandboxing controls and built-in user permissioning allow your instance’s administrators to be confident about what data is accessible to application developers and end users.
The quickest way to get up and running with such an application is with our
Once your codebase is ready to go, you can load it into your Looker instance in one of three ways:
- During development, you can use a URL to reference a locally hosted web server for quick and convenient development.
- You can build a JS bundle and load the file through your LookML project.
- You can deploy the JS file to a remote server or content delivery network (CDN) and then reference it by URL. This option is often the most convenient when used together with continuous deployment automation from your extension’s codebase.